Live Blog

LIVE BLOG: Student Speak-Out Spring 2010

This is the Live Blog for Writing on the Mall’s coverage of Student Senate’s Student Speak-Out.

8:41 – Kyle thanks everybody for coming.  Attendence – 65.  That’s It!  Have a safe Spring Break!  Special thanks to the panel for coming to the event.

8:39 – Laura Fink asks if something can be done to help the cheerleading squad get new uniforms?  Hiser says that a fundraising plan is in place to help them get new uniforms by this Fall or next Fall.  Cheerleading is treated as a club.  They are not expected to be at away games.  Only home games for both genders.

8:38 – Student asks why his academic dishonesty record cannot be cleared after being found innocent.  Kipp says she will check on the issue.

8:35 – Is tuition going up next year?  Total is $36,780.  Breakdown is the following – Tuition $27,640 – Student Fee $590 – Health Center Fee $110 – Room (average double) $4,580 – Board $3,860.  (Ed. Note – Not sure what this is compared to last year)

8:35 – Looking for an early place to print off stuff?  The ARC opens at 7:30 and has a full computer lab. (Ed. Note – Trailed off originally…edited to finish the thought)

8:31 – Patrick asks if the Athletic department could helps students get to Baseball games more easily?  Physical Plant says that the existing agreement does not allow for students to flash an ID and travel for free.  Hiser will look into transportation methods to help more students get to games.

8:29 – Kyle answers another question – Is there anything that can be done for students that want to cut through the DBRC after it closes, while the Library remains open.  Hiser says that they could maybe open for another hour?

8:24 – Jordan Stryker wonders if Residence Life can do more to make sure that a “Three Strikes” policy is followed.  Dr. Pastoor says that he will be looking at the disciplinary process in the future.  Discipline is not black and white, so things can seem fair for some or unfair for others.  He says that the punishment must fit the crime.  Kipp adds that on first offense, Kipp usually refers to the Professor who reports the problem.  All academic dishonesty reports are logged and kept track of.  Second offenders will face a more harsh punishment.

8:23 – Nicole complements Larry Hiser for helping a capstone class, but also wonders if coaches could be asked to encourage athletes to participate in multiple sports.  Hiser says that the student should see him to discuss the issue.

8:19 – Nicole asks what services the Career Center offers.  The Career Center rep is here, and mentions the services, which include the Monday Message, career fairs, class presentations, etiquette dinners, web resources, resume uploading and critiques.  Postcards were sent to parents, and the center is part of a new family initiative.  Any new ideas are welcome to be presented by students.

8:16 – Laura Fink asks if the white house (312 Putnam) by the Sigma Kappa house is owned by the College (yes, it is).  Kipp says that nothing is currently planned at the moment.  Fink also asks if the Honors House is being forced to close.  Kipp says that the Honors House confuses students that are also looking at College Honor Programs, which are not affiliated with the housing.  While students are very active, she wishes they could find another name.  College wants to protect its Honors Program.  They’d like to see the housing’s name changed.

8:15 – Ritchie Frederick wants to clarify that non-affiliated students are causing alcohol-related problems at the ATO house, not ATO brothers.  He wants to see that clarification made.  Travis says he is happy to work with ATO on problems.

8:12 – Kyle reads another question – regarding Alpha Tau Omega’s housing situation.  Travis welcomes any ATO member to come talk with him about city zoning laws and how they affect fraternities moving off campus.  It’s really really complicated.  Recently-passed ordinances require that certain areas require blood relatives to rent or own housing…not directed at Fraternities and Sororities specifically, but at college students.

8:11 – Patrick asks if Security Screens and a Phone Box could be installed at the Lambda Chi Alpha house.  Physical Plant (surprise) look into it.

8:08 – Brakey asks if student ID cards could be reinforced so that they don’t break as easily, and if the $25 fee to re-issue cards could be waived in those situations?  CPS says that the card will be replaced if the card dies.  They charge if it does not appear to be normal wear-and-tear.

8:08 – More smoking complaints, this time from Russell Hall

8:06 – Student asks about the smoking policy outside of buildings and was wondering if enforcement of smoking policies could be upped.  Also asked about a water fountain in Mary Beach.  Dr. Pastoor will look into it.

8:06 – Charlie Philpot wanted to thank the administration for hiring Ellen the RD (sitting on stage).

8:05 – Blakely Dye wanted to thank CPS for good work this semester.

8:05 – Dave Hood asks if a yellow box phone could be installed at the Delta Tau Delta House.  Physical Plant will look into it.

8:01 – Kevin wonders if there is a new dorm being constructed and if Parsons will be torn down.  RD’s are waiting for Kevin’s donation to begin construction.  Scott replies that a new residence hall had been planned and drawn out, but then the international markets crashed and the College could not borrow money for the project.  The College is looking to change the plans since the project is not planned to be constructed anytime soon.  Physical Plant says they are not neglecting Parsons.  All security screens will be installed soon on Parsons.

8:00 – Ian asks if Bartlett’s propane leak problems could be fixed.  Physical Plant says there was a small gas leak this year in a classroom.  They will follow up on the problem.

7:59 – Emma asks if students could follow up on course evaluations.  Kipp suggests going to department chairs or talking with herself.  Students should not be afraid to talk to their professor about problems they may have directly.

7:56 – Freshman student asks if financial packages could be released sooner.  A friend was left with many account problems that prevented her from eating or purchasing books.  The answer is to discuss the problem with Student Accounts and Financial Services.  They want to work with students to help them.  Says that a breakdown in communication may have led to the friend’s problem.

7:55 – Eric asks why there is a scanner at the back of Mary Beach and not the front?  RD’s will look into it. (Ed. Note – I need to copy/paste “Will Look Into It”)

7:54 – Student asks if pineapples and grapes could be the only fruit in fruit cups.  They will follow up on it.

7:53 – Carr asks if the piano in Harmar House (aka the DU house) could be repaired/tuned for students to enjoy.  Travis says he will talk to Allison and see if they can talk to DU Housing Corps.

7:53 – Student asks if premium channels could be purchased.  Physical Plant will follow up on that for a new dorm project.

7:52 – Bonakoski asks if link to Physical Plant work request form could be put on MyMC?  Physical Plant will look into it.

7:51 – Patrick Hahe suggests that area code and region code could be added to phone numbers in publications.  Administrators agree.

7:49 – Brakey asks if we can get Fox Sports Ohio on cable?  Physical Plant can’t do anything about that.  Suddenlink provides cable to the college and the area.

7:48 – Chuck Bonakoski asks why the front door of Fayerweather keeps getting left open or can be pulled open easily.  Physical Plant will add it to the now-growing to-do list.  Physical Plant reminds students they can submit work requests online.

7:47 – Alex Edelbrock asks if the cable in Parsons could be fixed.  Physical Plant says they will look into the problem.

7:46 – Blakely Dye asks if the drinking fountain on the first floor could be fixed to remove the acidic taste.  Physical Plant says they will flush the system.

7:44 – Kyle has another student question – Why are there card readers on bathroom doors?  RD responds that bathrooms in A&H has uni-sex bathrooms have card readers for safety reasons.  Laura Fink asks what happens after the students that requested them leave?  Kipp responds that it’s all to make things safer on campus.

7:42 – Tim Carr asks small fire pits could be placed around campus.  Travis says that you can fill out applications to use a fire pit around campus.  There will be a slight charge to cover wood costs.  This will start in the Fall.

7:42 – Why is water free with meal plan at Upper Gilman but $0.25 extra at Izzy’s?  Not sure

7:41 – Writing on the Mall Question – Izzy’s is closing early and workers are irratable – Rep says that it will be discussed with Chartwells

7:39 – Kyle reads another question from Facebook – this one is regarding problems with finding work that are not work-study jobs.  Financial Services says that they should come talk to him.  It’s not just a problem at Marietta, but other schools as well.

7:37 – Emily Brunning asks if Gilman Express could bring back breakfast service and if seats could be added to the Chlapaty Cafe.  Walter is not here to answer, but another person (Physical Plant?) answers that it is part of the discussion with Chartwells for next year.

7:36 – Kyle reads another question asks if more classes could be added that relate to business.  Kipp adds that she is unsure of how to answer.  She lists off the bridges between McDonough and the Business departments.

7:35 – Stephen Brakey wants to give a shout out to the women that work in Upper Gilman.

7:35 – Laura Fink adds that Walter has been told of the problem.

7:33 – Lippy again again – One of the Gilman workers has a bad attitude (not the good kind).  She wonders if there could be some sensitivity training or something to fix the problem?  President Scott says to contact Walter Miller (who is not here tonight :’-( ) about the issue and let him know.

7:32 – Lippy again – Wondering if there could be more seating in Upper Gilman.  Travis says that one or two tables could be added to Upper Gilman.

7:30 – Kyle Thauvette asks if there is a maintenance/replacement program on parts of washers/driers that are taking a beating.  Physical Plants asks to be careful with them.  They are leased from a separate service provider.  Make note of any wear and tear issues and let Physical Plant know.

7:28 – Writing on the Mall Question – What happened to the Commuter Lounge?  Kipp responds that the Library provides a good alternative now that Riggs is in the TV room.  The Commuter Lounge just wasn’t getting enough use.  The third floor space gained by moving the Emeritus Chamber was added to the Academic Resource Center, providing more use.

7:27 – Charlie Philpot asks if Bingo could be on different nights.  Travis points her towards the CUB president sitting behind her.

7:27 – Stephen Brakey asks about the M-Cash system.  You’ll have three accounts…Declining Balance, M-Cash, and Print Allotment.

7:25 PM – Tim Crandall asks what the cost is to recharge your GoPrint account.  You can put less than $25 on your card at a time.  This cash placed on your card through the Manage My ID site (or M-Cash) can be used at other locations on campus, including Food at the Gathering Place and at the Mail Room, not just the printer allotment.  Your student ID can be used at more places soon!

7:23 – Alex Edelbrock asks about the GoPrint system could better react to double-sided prints?  IT responds that students get a 10% discount for printing on both sides of paper.  The costs cover ink and toner, so it can’t be charged for just one sheet of paper.

7:22 – Can continuing education students participate in student activities?  David Travis responds that yes they can.

7:20 – Lyndsay Offenberger asks if new computers could be installed in the Purple Cow room of the Mass Media building.  IT says that every four years, labs are switched out for new computers.  Up to departments to tell IT what they need.

7:17 PM – Laura Fink asks if there is a review process for Residence Directors?  Dr. Pastoor responds that he’s not sure if there is student input in RD reviews.  Says to see him if you have a problem.  Kipp mentions that Quality Service initiative has been started to help provide better service across the board from all College services.  Comment boxes will be added in all offices and residence hall offices.

7:16 PM – Josh Maxwell asks if tenured faculty have post-tenure reviews.  Rita Kipp says that all professors are reviewed each year.  Course evaluations are required to be completed by all students each semester and she looks at them all.

7:15 PM – Lippy Lipniskas asks if the radiant floor heating could be turned back on in the Hermann Fine Arts Center.  Physical Plant says they will follow up on it.

7:13 PM – Ricky Frederickson asks about the Alcohol Policy.  Wanted to know if its fair that a person that severely violates the policy gets the same punishment as someone who barely violates.  President Scott responds that the strength of the violation is considered in reviews of cases.

7:10 PM – Correction: We had Nine Core Values, now looking at condensing to Seven Core Values.  Elimination of Financial Planning and having Technology merged into other Core Values.

7:08 PM – Updated Mission Statement read aloud.  Writing on the Mall will have this posted after SSO.

7:07 PM – Changes to the Mission Statement to help make it more concise and include graduate programs.

7:05 PM – President Jean Scott covers the changes to the Seven Core Values and the progression to the Pioneer Pledge.  Work on a new strategic plan is currently underway.  There is a re-accreditation of Marietta College will happen in 2015.

7:02 PM – Kyle Thauvette, President of Student Senate, introduces all  the reps (Finance Services, COmmunity Service, Student Life, Career Center, Provost, Athletics, Res Life, IT, Physical Plant, etc, etc.)

5 comments - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Categories: Campus, Live Blog, Students

Tags: , , , , , ,

Student Speak-Out Coverage TONIGHT!

Writing on the Mall will have full coverage of tonight’s Student Speak-Out.  The event begins at 7 PM in McDonough Auditorium,

Just like last time, we plan to have an updating stream of questions asked at the Speak-Out, plus photos and videos.  Our goal is to have some interviews with College administrators and Student Senate members to supplement our coverage.

If you can’t be at the event, but have a question you want answers, leave a comment to this article, or leave a comment on our Facebook Fan Page, or send a Tweet our way on Twitter.  Student Senate members will also be at Gilman tonight to take questions from those that will be unable to attend.

Looking at the event’s official Facebook page, there should be a large number of people present at the event.

At this point, the list of faculty and administrators that will be attending has not been released, but as soon as it is known we will publish it.

Be the first to comment - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Categories: Campus, Live Blog, Students

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

LIVE: Student Speak Out 2009

Writing on the Mall is LIVE from Student Speak Out 2009.  We’ll be live blogging from the event, and updating Twitter @WriteOnTheMall.  Refresh this post to see new updates.  Photos and video will be posted later this week.

Read more…

1 comment - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Categories: Campus, Live Blog, Students

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Live from Relay for Life!

Writing on the Mall will be live from Relay for Life at Marietta College from 8 PM until 2 AM.  Watch our Facebook Page, either @WriteOnTheMall or @PatrickHahe for Twitter action, Our YouTube page for videos, or our Flickr page for photo uploads.  There may be the occasional update on here, as well.  STAY TUNED!

1 comment - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Friday, November 13, 2009

Categories: Campus, Entertainment, Events, Live Blog, Students

Tags: , , , , , ,

Student Senate Twitter Report

Head on over to Writing on the Mall’s Twitter for my comments during the Student Senate meeting tonight.  A full write-up will be up later tonight.

Be the first to comment - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Categories: Campus, Live Blog

Tags: , , , , , ,

Live Blog: Student Senate Townhall Meeting

6:35 PM – WotM – That’s it!  Voting takes place Wednesday and Thursday at Lunch and Dinner.  Make sure you vote!

6:32 PM – WotM – Any good at creating/working with budget?  Josh – Working with McDonough EXCEL leaders to plan budget for EXCEL leaders.  Jameson – Does not have much experience, FFA experience helped him learn how to make payments to pay off a tractor that they had purchased; stay under budget by at least 10% as a back-up plan if funding is cut.  Charlie – Treasurer for Alpha Xi, so good with budgets, but doesn’t see how its pertinent to VP since there is also a treasurer;  good at finding cheap prices on venues/food/etc.

6:28 PM – WotM – Question time!  Ideas for Senior Week?  Charlie – Last week of college career, would like to see all events be as memorable as possible.  Jameson – International Music Night, karaoke in different languages, also stereotypical photos.  Sombrero Berger?  Live bands.  Josh – Brainstorm most popular ideas with committee, have a survey of what they want for Senior Week, have a wide variety events.  Foam party would create a more party-like atmosphere.

6:25 PM – Charlie Philpott – Energy and enthusiasm is her big thing.  Hopes it will rub off on other people, like it has in her other organizations that she’s in.  Was disappointed in attendance to last All-Campus meeting.  Feels there is a lack of energy about Marietta College.  Would like to see that change.  Nobody knows what’s going on in Student Senate, would like to see that change.  Feels she can plan/execute a fun-filled Senior Week as a Sophomore.  Is really excited about an opportunity to make MC better.

6:25 PM – WotM – Charlie Philpott takes the stage

6:23 PM – Josh Maxwell – Already began talks with current Senior Week committee to get on the same page with them if he is elected.  Experience with his fraternity and Robert’s Rules of Order.  Improve image of Student Senate.  Very disheartening.  Keep morale of senators and officers up.  More representation from non-Greeks.  Remove the stereotype that we are a Greek-only organization.

6:23 PM – WotM – Josh Maxwell is now on the stage.

6:20 PM – Jameson Kelley – Has a good working relationship with most of the candidates.  No internal struggle problems no matter who you elect.

6:18 PM – Jameson Kelley – Round of applause for other VP candidates.  They’ll have a better speech than me.  Working on Senior Week committee for S.S.  Wants to see communication channels stay open between current and future S.S. officers.  Wants to see Robert’s Rules of Order implemented in S.S.  Takes maybe 10 minutes to learn the basics.  Make sure the Parliamentarian knows the rules also so they can enforce them.

6:18 PM – WotM – Jameson Kelley is the first Vice President candidate to speak.

6:16 PM – Chandler Wittel – Discussing S.S. experience.  Would like to see all four appropriation dates for next year selected ASAP.  Would like to work with exec board, have two all-campus meetings.  One at beginning of the semester, one at the end of the semester.

6:16 PM – WotM – Treasurer candidate Chandler Wittel now speaking.

6:09 – WotM – How would you break the international student barrier and get them more involved in American Life?  Kyle – Biggest issue is that the international students come to classes so much earlier than most students.  Expand DEL program to rest of campus, pair up American students with International students.  Megan – Agrees that they come to campus so much earlier, that hurts integrating them into the American lifestyle.  Need to go through orientation with rest of incoming students to mix things up and get them talking with other freshmen.  Courtney – Agrees with Megan.  Thinks students without planned roommates should automatically have the option to live with international students, no opt-out option.  Fraternities/Sororities/other organizations should get international students more involved.

6:05 – WotM – Improving diversity on campus?  Courtney – Minority recruiter in Admissions.  Kyle – Agrees on recruiter, increase awareness, start talking with international students more.  Megan – Trying to break the barrier and integrate international students more in American life.

6:03 – WotM – Biggest weaknesses?  Megan – Gets extremely nervous when running for a position.  Courtney – Being perceived as aggressive when working on projects.  Kyle – Rolling over and allowing others opinions to proceed over his instead of going with his own idea.

6:01 – WotM – Questions from the audience…What would you do about advertising of candidates/events being vandalized?  Kyle – Turn the other cheek and move on/put up more.  Megan – Put white out across her signs that were vandalized.  Be the better person and move on.  Courtney – Agrees with other candidates, put up new posters.

6:00 PM – Courtney Malone – Wants to use Robert’s Rules of order to help make meetings more efficient.  She is saddened that her posters have been ripped down and/or smeared with chocolate.  Feels that her being elected is the last step to true diversity.

5:56 PM – Courtney Malone – Minority Affairs representative on Student Senate, helped her constituency by listening to what they wanted to see happen, and then did what she could to make it happen.  Started with incoming freshmen.  Promoted diversity during freshman orientation.  Also led creation of African American History classes.  Most students do not know who their representatives are.  Wants students to be informed of who their reps are, beat stereotype that all S.S. does is distribute money.  Wants senators to get to know each other, their representatives, and the campus.  Will also lead S.S. to support other organizations events.

5:55 PM – WotM – Courtney Malone is now coming to the stage

5:51 PM – Megan Moore – Wants to take Student Senate officers to conferences to discuss campus problems and improve with national support.  She feels that she can implement this in the past year.  She’d also like to change meal plans.  Wants more options, like not losing meals if a time slot is missed.  Things like this require more involvement from students.  Would also like to hit on safety on campus.  She went on a walk-through of campus at night with CPS to see which parts of campus need lighting.  Also promoting self-defense classes better to help better defend students.  Ripping doors open on campus is ridiculous.  if students can do it, than people that are not students can as well.

5:48 PM – Megan Moore – Going over past Student Senate experience, was last Student Senate Secretary.  Feels next Senate will be better prepared to hit the ground running.  Now discussing Sorority and Up Til Dawn/Relay for Life involvement.  She wants to get more people involved in Student Senate.  50 people showing up events like tonight or for other events to voice their opinion is not enough.  Student Senate is the voice of the students.

5:48 PM – WotM – Megan Moore now coming on stage

5:48 - Kyle Thauvette - “I’ll do my best to accomplish what I have promised tonight.”

5:45 PM – Kyle Thauvette – Food service is one of his projects.  He’d like to see meal plans changed.  Possibly extending breakfast and lunch time periods.  Getting rid of time periods completely is not feasible.  Having option to use either breakfast or lunch or lunch and dinner at certain times.  Recycling is his other point.  He feels that MC is close to being a “Green” campus.  Greeks currently do not have easy recycling opportunities.  Would like to see a recycling trailer set up between McDonough and Admissions house.  Likes internship program to promote recycling on campus.

5:43 PM - Kyle Thauvette – “Plans might not seem as grand, we have a long way to go on those.  Need to focus on Student senate.  1st, making it more efficient, 2nd making Student Senate more active on campus, 3rd more athletes participating in Student Senate.  It’s not just a Greek thing.  Athletes are a point of view we currently do not have represented.

5:42 PM – WotM – Jeff Kimble is starting things off explaining the procedure for the night.  Presidents first, then VP’s, and Treasurer.

5:40 PM – WotM – Lot of Greeks running for offices…Chandler Wittel of Lambda Chi Alpha is running for Treasurer unopposed.  I think that’s all the Greeks.

5:35 PM – WotM – Brothers of Delta Tau Delta are now arriving to support current Student Senate President Jeff Kimble, Presidential Candidate Kyle Thauvette, and Vice President Candidates Josh Maxwell and Jameson Kelley.  We will start in five minutes.

5:32 PM – WotM – People are starting to show up now…whole bunch of Alpha Xi’s here to support Presidential Candidate Megan Moore and Vice President Candidate Charlie Philpott.

5:29 PM – WotM – All of the candidates are here…just waiting for people to show up.  Format will be a townhall meeting, so the candidates will have a spiel, then answer questions.

Be the first to comment - What do you think?

Posted by    Date: Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Categories: Campus, Live Blog

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,